It's Monday again. I swear it feels like just yesterday I was sending you all off to a wonderful weekend with a beautiful maternity session. Where does the time go? Well, I know where my time went. I spent my weekend working on a fun DIY Wall Art Project for my little one's room. As I mentioned in my "DIY Chalkpaint" tutorial a few weeks ago, I am on a mission to get McKenzie's room up and running with exciting elements to wake up to and play in every day. Poor thing, she wakes up every morning and is met with bare walls and a changing table. Lately I haven't wanted to touch the walls until I figure out what I plan on doing with them. I'm sort of over the whole patching and painting process these days. After we moved in and began making our new house a home, I couldn't seem to commit to any of the wall decor that I enlisted my husband to help hang, so ALOT of patching and painting took place. When it came to McKenzie's room, I decided to do nothing until I could make a call and stick with it (fingers crossed).
The One thing that I am certain of today, is this ADORABLE Alphabet Wall Art that I found over at Crafts Unleashed! As soon as I stumbled upon it on Pinterest, I knew that I had to at least attempt it and add it to Kenzie's room decor list! I love how clean and crisp it looks, not to mention my little one will be met with the Alphabet every morning and afternoon following nap time. I'm so thankful that McKenzie LOVES her crib. When she wakes up in the morning and from her afternoon naps, she plays for a good length of time and has little chit chats with her stuffed animals that sit at the foot of her crib. Hopefully this will continue and as she gets more and more familiar with her ABCs, she will spend her time looking over at her Alphabet Art and practice away her letters! Well, that's my make-believe mommy vision anyway (wink).
So I basically followed every step of Vanessa's from Crafts Unleashed. The only thing I did differently was add a little bit of sparkle to our alphabet display in hopes to coordinate with other decor elements I plan on adding. (Nursery Reveal Coming Soon!) Soooooo with out further ado, here is my shared tutorial on:
How To Create Your Own Paper Mache Alphabet Art
- 8 inch Paper Mache Letters (except for the letter "O")
- Paper Mache Heart (Edges Trimmed Off)
- Valspar Flat Paint (White)
- High Temp Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Saw Tooth Hangers (If you choose to hang)
1. Optional - I chose to lay my letters out beforehand and move them around until I was happy with the layout. Be sure to take a photo as a reminder :)
2. Remove barcode sticker then spray paint your letters, except for the "I", "Heart" & "U". I just sprayed the front of each letter (back is optional as it will not show)
3. Once they are dry, lay them back in your preferred layout. Vanessa left her "I", "Heart" & "U" the natural color they came in. I absolutely love the natural surrounded by all the white. It makes for such a clean finish!
4. Although I LOVE the natural look, I decided to add a little bit of sparkle to our "I Heart U" message. This is totally optional and just adds this one extra step. You can find this quick and easy tutorial here.
6. Once the hot glue dried, I turned my alphabet over (recruit help or it will be a mess) and began to hot glue the letters together from the backside as well to create more support.
7. (Not Pictured) - I then added two saw hook hangers between the "B" & "C" and "E" & "F". I pushed them in and covered the anchors with hot glue for extra support.
Just hang up and feel free to start singing "A B C D E F G...."
Please Feel Free to To Give This Tutorial A Try and Share Your Results! Let Me Know How Well It Worked For You or If There Is Anything You Would Do Differently!
To Help You Get Started On Your DIY Paper Mache Alphabet Art, I have teamed up with these wonderful ladies to GIVEAWAY A $100 Gift Card To Michaels!!!
All You Have To Do, Is Fill Out The Lovely Rafflecoptor Form Below For A Chance To Win!a Rafflecopter giveaway